The Linington family first come to Thanet in the early 1920's.
The farm was started off by Edmund Linington, He moved from the Isle of Wright to East Northdown farm. Of course in those days there were no tractors & all work on the farm was done by working horses.
In the 1930s we became tenants of Quex Park Estates and the main farm moved to Quex. In the following years the family ran Dent-de-Lion farm in Garlinge, (which is where the lion logo orignated from) and Somali farm in Birchington, all of which had large diary herds.
In 1948 the family bought Chambers Wall farm and Bartletts farm at St.Nicholas at Wade near Birchington. The diary side of the farm finally finished in the late 1960s & The last farm horse 'Captain' also served his final days on Somali in the mid 60s. Right the way from the early 1970s the farm has grown Cauliflower, early potatoes, Barley and Wheat, Rhubarb, Courgettes. Sugar Beet has also been known to have been grown here at Somali.
Somali farm ever at the forefront of technology had one of the first combines in Thanet!
Since we have been farming at Somali we have had one helicopter and one light aircraft make forced landings in the fields both just down the road from the shop!
Reg Linington was in the Secret Army during the war under the command of Peter Fleming, who was Ian Fleming's brother (creator of James Bond)